About Me

My photo
Homeschooling Mother of Two, Licensed Manicurist, Runner, Retired Figure Skater

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bradshaw meet, 12/19/2010

First the bad news, I skated like I just learned my figures in the Novice B event.  I had psyched myself all out in my head, I guess.  They delayed our event and the four of us ended up frozen standing around waiting for almost 20 minutes.  By the time we got to warmup, I could hardly feel my feet.  I actually forgot to finish my last circle and had to go back to finish it. I've never done that before, even in practice.  I ended up 4th place out of 4 skaters.  Phooey on that.

So, I was very frustrated and mad as hell at myself going into the Subloops event which they called before I even had a chance to skate my Novice B figures.  My head was definitely all freaked out over that.  Note to self:  Remember that they can't start the event without you and put it OUT of your mind and concentrate on what you are skating NOW.  I had to rush off the floor and change my skates and get back on the floor to warm up for the Subloop event.

My daughter and I both skated the Subloop event together.  That was actually really fun.  I wasn't sure if it would feel strange to be skating with her but it turned out to be very cool.  There were 6 skaters in the event, one of whom is in our club and who took first at the last meet.    Being the stubborn person that I am, I dug in my heels and really put out my best effort after the epic fail on my Novice B figures.  I am delighted to report that I placed second out of 6 and my daughter took third behind me.  I can't even begin to tell you what a thrill it was for both of us to go up and receive our medals together.

I was absolutely shocked to find out my placement.  I figured I was done and ready to pack up and go home but my coach insisted I leave my skates on until the results were posted.

Lily did pretty well in her Primary figure event.  She tied for fourth and might have moved up a bit if she hadn't accidentally let her toe wheels hit the floor.  I missed when that happened but she mentioned it as soon as she came off the floor.  I think she's a lot like me and felt even more determined to do better in her second event.

I learned a lot today.  I think the most important part was not giving up after the Novice B event.  I could easily have let myself be defeated and sit and cry over it but getting up and going back out was the best thing I could have done.

S

No comments: